Issue : #709
Solar Heating Project Quote

Hello, I am a senior mechanical engineering major working on a project to implement a energy conservation system at a school and need a quote for a solar heating system. There are around 200 students at this school and it will need to heat water for sinks, showers, labs, etc. Thank you.

RE: Solar Heating Project Quote

Jason I can certainly help you with a project quote.  The 1st question I have is what size of system are you looking at?  Did you want a small basic one panel system or a large 5 panel system?

Dan

Dan,

I am assuming a one panel system is too small to maintain hot water for a small school. I read an article of a school using 5 large solar panels and a 398 gal. closed hot water system. I have not yet recieved info from the school for the amount of hot water used, but if that is something you need I will email you back as soon as I recieve that. I was hoping that you would be able to size the system based on number of people, however. Let me know what you think is best, and whether we should go with an integral collector storage system, or an evacuated tube collector. Thank you.

Jason

To: [email protected]
Subject: [SST: #709] Reply to your query - nlsolarheating
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 15:06:48 -0600

Hi Jason Jeffers, A rep replied to a support ticket with nlsolarheating.

ISSUE #709
----------------- Content of the Ticket -----------------
Subject : Solar Heating Project Quote
Message : Jason I can certainly help you with a project quote.  The 1st question I have is what size of system are you looking at?  Did you want a small basic one panel system or a large 5 panel system?

Dan

------------------------------------------------------------------
Our Customer support representative will contact you soon.
In the meantime, you can update the ticket by replying to this mail. You can also update this ticket using the URL : Click Here

Thanks for using our Service. Regards
nlsolarheating

RE: RE: Solar Heating Project Quote

Jason, the problem with a school is generally summer months.  Is water still used then?  If not you would have to cover the collectors during the off season.  The more information you can give the better I can design the system.  So water usage would be a big factor in getting the sizing correct.  My simulation software allows me to simulate no use in summer months.

Dan

There will be little hot water usage during summer months and I am sure that the existing hot water tank will be fine for that amount. Does the heat of the summer ruin the panel with the water being stationary?

Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 16:28:23 -0600

ISSUE #709
Message : Jason, the problem with a school is generally summer months.  Is water still used then?  If not you would have to cover the collectors during the off season.  The more information you can give the better I can design the system.  So water usage would be a big factor in getting the sizing correct.  My simulation software allows me to simulate no use in summer months.
Dan

In the meantime, you can update the ticket by replying to this mail. You can also update this ticket using the URL : Click Here

nlsolarheating

Dan,I am estimating that the hot water usage is between 500-600 gallons a day. Peak demand per student - 2 gal/hrStorage per student - 1 galNumber of students - Estimated 175 next year
If there is any additional info you need for your simulation let me know.
Thanks, Jason

Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 16:28:23 -0600

ISSUE #709
Message : Jason, the problem with a school is generally summer months.  Is water still used then?  If not you would have to cover the collectors during the off season.  The more information you can give the better I can design the system.  So water usage would be a big factor in getting the sizing correct.  My simulation software allows me to simulate no use in summer months.
Dan

nlsolarheating

RE: RE: Solar Heating Project Quote

Jason where is the school located and what is the current hot water heating method and size of tanks.

Thanks

Dan

Dan,
The school is in Amarillo, TX and the water is heated by electricity. I am working on getting the tank sizes right now. I will let you know as soon as I get the numbers.
 Thanks,
Jason

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 14:50:47 -0600

ISSUE #709
Message : Jason where is the school located and what is the current hot water heating method and size of tanks.

Thanks

Dan

nlsolarheating

Dan,
Here is the info you requested:
School Location - Amarillo, TexasHeating Method - Natural gasSize of Tanks - (2)-40 gallon tanks and (1)-75 Gallon tank
Thanks,
Jason Jeffers
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 14:50:47 -0600

ISSUE #709
Message : Jason where is the school located and what is the current hot water heating method and size of tanks.

Thanks

Dan

nlsolarheating